Pelvic girdle pain in pregnancy (PGP) symptoms are normally felt about the pelvis, the buttocks and groin areas. They are aggravated by walking, bending and lifting which hinder the sufferer’s daily activities. It can also affect sleep with symptoms milder in the morning and worse in the evening.
PGP is the leading cause of sick leave during pregnancy in Sweden and other countries.
75% of women who experience PGP during pregnancy will improve within 12 weeks after delivery, 25% will go on to develop chronic pain.1
Medical acupuncture has been shown:
- To relieve pelvic and low back pain in late pregnancy.2
When combined with stabilising exercises, to be an effective compliment to standard treatment.3
- To be more effective in providing PGP relief compared to stabilising exercises when used on own.3
- To reduce pain, improve daily activities, improve emotional reactions and loss of energy according to the Nottingham Health Profile questionnaire.4
- Combine well with pelvic support belts in the treatment of PGP.5
- To also be an effective treatment for women who experience nausea and dry retching in early pregnancy.6
Medical acupuncture treatment has resulted in no maternal or obstetric negative side effects such as premature delivery in 417 pregnant women treated and after 3152 treatments.3,6,7,8...