Hot flushes as well as hot flashes, sweating, racing heart, sleep disturbances, headaches, general aches and pains affect 70% of women for up to 4-5 years and 10-15% for up to 10 years during and after menopause.
Medical acupuncture treatment has been shown to
-Reduce the frequency and intensity of hot flashes.1,2,3,5
-Improve sleep and aches and pains.2
-Improve mood and pain symptoms according to the Menopause Rating Scale.4
-Relieve menopausal discomfort and the severity and frequency of hot flushes, flashes and sweating in those with breast cancer.6,7
If you need help and would like to explore a medical acupuncture based course of treatment, and for further information, please call us on 01-2834303.
1. Vincent A, Barton DL, Mandrekar JN, Cha SS, Zais T, Wahner-Roedler DL, Keppler MA, Kreitzer MJ, Loprinzi C. Acupuncture for hot flashes: a randomized, sham-controlled clinical study. Menopause. 2007 Jan 1; 14(1):45-52.
2. Borud EK, Alraek T, White A, Fonnebo V, Eggen AE, Hammar M, Åstrand LL, Theodorsson E, Grimsgaard S. The acupuncture on hot flushes among menopausal women (ACUFLASH) study, a randomized controlled trial. Menopause. 2009 May 1;16(3):484-93.
3. Borud EK, Alraek T, White A, Grimsgaard S. The Acupuncture on Hot Flashes Among Menopausal Women study: observational follow-up results at 6 and 12 months. Menopause. 2010 Mar 1;17(2):262-8.
4. Kim KH, Kang KW, Kim DI, Kim HJ, Yoon HM, Lee JM, Jeong JC, Lee MS, Jung HJ, Choi SM. Effects of acupuncture on hot flashes in perimenopausal and postmenopausal women-a multicenter randomized clinical trial. Menopause. 2010 Mar 1;17(2):269-80.
5. Ee C, Xue C, Chondros P, Myers SP, French SD, Teede H, Pirotta M. Acupuncture for menopausal hot flashes: a randomized trial. Annals of internal medicine. 2016 Feb 2;164(3):146-54.
6. Bokmand S, Flyger H. Acupuncture relieves menopausal discomfort in breast cancer patients: a prospective, double blinded, randomized study. The Breast. 2013 Jun 1;22(3):320-3.
7. Liljegren A, Gunnarsson P, Landgren BM, Robéus N, Johansson H, Rotstein S. Reducing vasomotor symptoms with acupuncture in breast cancer patients treated with adjuvant tamoxifen: a randomized controlled trial. Breast cancer research and treatment. 2012 Oct 1;135(3):791-8.